Sunday, August 28, 2011

Character-Sexist

I think I really might be. But not against guys. Against girls. And if you know me, you know that's completely counter to my personality.


I, as a girl, can do anything. And if you tell me I can't, I will glare at you and defend myself with cold logic and prove you wrong.


But.


I hate girl characters. Books, movies, life. I just do not. like. girls. I never have. In fact, if you're my Functioning Best Friend, Cassidy, you have to sit through movies with me and listen to my gripe under my breath about what a stupid, weak, idiotic ninny every female romantic interest is.


The other day I had a lot "free time" on my hands {meaning I didn't want to be doing what I actually needed to be doing}. I decided to make a list, just to see if my suspicion was correct. I made two lists and called them "Female Characters I Like" and "Female Characters I Do Not Like."


The lists came out disappointingly close actually, with me liking 22 and hating 28. I sat on the couch and puzzled over what that was. I knew for a FACT that WAY more often than not, during kissing scenes I have to hide my fact in absolute disgust and abhorrence. So why did my lists come out so close?


Then I figured it out: I did dislike more female characters than I like, yes. BUT. The REAL difference appears when the girls are the love interest for the guys.


So I made two new lists entitled "Female Romantic Interests I Like" and "Female Romantic Interests I Don't Like."


Notes:
1) To qualify as a "Female Romantic Interest," the girl must not be the main character. I counted only the girls who played opposite male MCs.
2) If I didn't have a strong opinion one way or another, I didn't put the character on either list. The lists were for my strong opinions only.


I am now, as you've probably already guessed going to show you the two lists.


Female Romantic Interests I Like
1. Sarah {I Am Number Four}
2. Lois Lane {Justice League}
3. Hermione {Harry Potter}
4. Mistique {X-Men: First Class}
5. Marie {The Bourne Movies}


Female Romantic Interests I Don't Like:
1. Arwen {Lord of the Rings}
2. Nasuada {Eragon}
3. Arya {Eragon}
4. Sarah {Newsies}
5. Padme Amidala {Star Wars}
6. Jocelyn {A Knight's Tale}
7. Anabeth {The Lightning Thief}
8. Irene Adler {Sherlock Holmes}
9. Elizabeth Swan {Pirates of the Carribean}
10. Isabel {Ocean's 12}
11. Sally {Cars}
12. Prudy {Support Your Local Sherif}


*clears throat somewhat awkwardly* My suspicions were strongly confirmed. I do not like the girls who fall in love with the main guys.


I'm still not EXACTLY sure why, but I think it has something to do with their two-dimensional personalities. The girls aren't complex enough to be interesting or real. Either they're mousy and despicable {Sarah} or too badass and hard to be realistic {Arya, Anabeth, Adler, Elizabeth}. Can't we find some middle ground, people? Not all girls are either huddled in a corner or cussing up a storm cutting out some guy's spleen with her jeweled dagger. Some of us possess an APPROPRIATE combination of self-preservation and attitude.


And then there are the girls I just find stupid and annoying {Padme, Jocelyn, Prudy.}


And then there are the girls that I just freakin' don't like and I don't know why {Arwen, Nasuada, Sally}. I just don't know. But I do not like them.


What about you? Are you character-sexist?


~Stephanie
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews

Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner